Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Friday, April 30, 2010

Email in: Tau Question



First, are blog authors allowed to email for help? How scandalous :)



I've never played Tau, but I want to give them a whirl. Since you
seem to be quite learned on the Greater Good, I come for advice.

How would you take Stelek's 2000 point best-of Tau
http://www.yesthetruthhurts.com/2008/09/my-tau-empire.html and find
the points for a 3rd Broadside? With all the fear I've had of
Broadsides, 2 doesn't seem like enough. Is dropping a Railhead for a
2nd Broadside squad an ok idea, or do you need the big blast from the
Hammerhead?


-GWvsJohn

Well it gives me a quick blog post, so yes (I hate cognition btw. Hate it. P.S. my thesis ethics is going in this week so fingers crossed!). So, we can do something like this to get 3 broadsides:

HQ -
Shas’el w/TL’d Missile Pod, Target-lock

Elites -
Crisis x3 w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker

Crisis x3 w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker

Crisis x3 w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker

Troops -
Fire Warriors x6

Kroot x10

Kroot x10
Hounds x7

Fast Attack -
Pathfinders x8
Devilfish w/SMS, Multi-tracker, Disruption Pods, Targeting Array

Piranhas x2 w/Fusion Blasters, Targeting Array, 1 Disruption Pod, 1 Target Lock

Piranhas x2 w/Fusion Blasters, Targeting Array, 1 Disruption Pod, 1 Target Lock

Heavy Support -
Broadsides x3 w/Advanced Stabilisation System, Team Leader w/hard-wired Drone controller, 2 shield drones & hard-wired TL

Hammerhead w/Railgun, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker, Disruption Pod

Hammerhead w/Railgun, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker, Disruption Pod

Total: 1999
13 suits (+2 drones)
41 infantry
8 tanks

We lose a bit of anti-infantry firepower as we drop down on SMS for the hammerheads (less range) and lose a plasma rifle but gain the extra broadside. The biggest loss though is in the Kroot screen (only one 17 squad and another of 10). The problem I guess with 3 Broadsides is you can't split fire 3 ways so you gain a bit more reliability but not that much more killing power. Dropping a Hammerhead for a Broadside squad at this points...eh I'd say no. You lose anti-infantry, you have to drop points somewhere and the only net gain is a single TL-railgun. I think Stelek's list w/2 Broadsides and 34 Kroot is more solid whilst the 3 Broadsides and 27 Kroot is more reliable and that little bit better equipped to handle mech.

It comes down to personal preference. Before I shelved my Tau I ran 3 Broadsides as it was cheaper than buying another set of Hounds :P but if money wasn't a problem I'd lean towards Stelek's original list. It's more reliable in that you have a more reliable screen service and your anti-infantry isn't really suffering. I don't think multiple Broadside units are worth it until you start hitting 2.5k, you just lose too much anti-infantry otherwise with the current codex. Until we can pack more into FoC slots or have decent Troops...:(.

2 pinkments:

MagicJuggler said...

Say Kirb. The Taudex I'm doing is coming along nicely. :P

But yeah, an alternate way to drop points would be to downgrade one Piranha in each squad, to an untargeted Burst Cannon. Lets you pop the SMS back on the Railheads if you want.

Unknown said...

Any update on the Taudex?

Post a Comment

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...