Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Friday, July 15, 2011

Email in: Revised list



"Hey Kirby.

Thank you for reviewing my list! I have taken on board what you said and have implemented them in my list, which will follow.

With regards to the previous list,
I included the henchmen squad because I felt I needed melta in order to deal with any AV14 that came my way as that is the one area in which my army lacks. The idea behind the strike squad was a cheap scorer with the razorback to add more anti-tank. I added the landraider because I was tired of losing half of my paladins before I reached the other side of the board.

I see that I will have to put up with struggling against AV14.


Onto the army list...

For my HQ I decided to stick with Draigo because he adds so much survivability to foot slogging paladins and I really like the character as a whole. Then I went on to choose his bodyguard of 5 paladins with 3 halberds, a hammer and a stave. The hammer adds significant utility to the squad as it can help with the AV14 problem. I chose to stick with the stave because, again, it adds survivability to the squad because I can stick any nasty powerfist attacks on him.

For the rest of the troops section, I decided to take your advice and go with the strike squads. I was not happy with the idea of footslogging my paladins on their own so I plumped for two full strike squads with psbolt and two psycannons. Then I added the psybacks for added anti-infantry and to help with vehicle saturation. I really like this set up because it gives me bodies, survivability and firepower whilst being a scoring unit.

I kept the purifier set up, with 2 psycannons and 3 halberds in rhinos, and the dreads because they are both staples for the army. They are excellent utility units which fit well into the army.

After counting up points at this stage, i found i had 138 left. This is where I feel I need the help because there are several options I could go with.

At the moment i am swaying towards a techmarine with assorted grenades to foot slog with the paladins but the other options are, another psyfledread, an apothecary, two more paladins, an inquisitor (Malleus with terminator armour and psycannon or Xenos with grenades) or an assassin.

Here is the list...

HQ

Lord Kaldor Draigo

Troops
5 x Paladins
2 x psycannons
3x master crafted halberds
1 x master crafted hammer
1 x master crafted psycannon
1 x master crafted nemesis warding stave
365

Strike Squad
5 extra marines
2 x psycannons
psybolt ammunition
Razorback with psybolt ammunition
290

Strike Squad
5 extra marines
2 x psycannons
psybolt ammunition
Razorback with psybolt ammunition
290


Elites

Purifier Squad
2 x psycannon
3 x halberds
Rhino
186

Purifier Squad
2 x psycannon
3 x halberds
Rhino
186

Techmarine
storm bolter
Blind Grenades
Meltabombs
Rad Grenades
Psychotroke Grenades
3 x servo skulls
137


Heavy Support

Dreadnought
twin linked autocannon
twin linked autocannon
psybolt ammo
135

Dreadnought
twin linked autocannon
twin linked autocannon
psybolt ammo
135


1999

Which option would you go with? And what are your general opinions of the list as it is? Do you think it would be able to compete in a tournament effectively?

Thank you for your help, it is most appreciated and has really helped me.

Bede."


This is much better but could still use some tweaks I think. You really don't need the Warding Staff on the Paladins but if you want to keep it, all good. Draigo has a 3++ remember and isn't dying to PFists anytime soon. The Dreads are good. The Strike Squads are fine but you are overpaying for them (they are 260 not 290). You will most likely combat squad these guys and send the psycannons or at least one psycannon upfield quickly. Purifiers are fine but I would put them in Razorbacks as well and move them up and unload them quickly. This gives you more anti-infantry at range but you cannot hide the Purifiers - I'm happy with this trade-off.

Techmarine isn't needed though. You can get an Inquisitor with Grenades for cheaper and more wounds if not as durable. With the extra points I'd look at either another psyfledread, another Purifier squad (points would be tight for this), a Vindicare for some AP1 or extra Paladins. I'd not go the extra Paladin route as you're putting more points into the basket so I'd be looking at a Psyfledread or Vindicare for extra ranged punch.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...