Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Saturday, October 30, 2010

Email in: Vanilla Biker list help [1750]


"Hiya Kirby,

It's Vallek here (Combat Tactics ^.^) and I've fallen into a bit of a slump with my Biker Marines. I only have 2 opponents I can regularly vs at my LGS (the store owner and older regulars all swear by 4th ed. and won't play 40k anymore =S you may slap them with a large pink...object). The first guy plays Orks, he was the first person I played and basically the one that got me into tabletop gaming, and he has consistently beaten me for the last 7 months or so. The score stands at something like 20 wins and 1 draw in his favour. The draw was his own fault when my drop pod scattered off the table and he placed it in the far table corner on my side, and couldn't reach it in time to table me for the win, he didnt hold either objective and I only had a drop pod left.

I've read all of the bike tacticas, both on 3++ and YTTH, but I still can't seem to beat him.

I started off my bikes using this list:
1750 Points Vanilla Bikes:


HQ:
Librarian (Bike, Null Zone, Might of the Ancients)
Captain (Bike, Relic Blade, Storm Shield)
Command Squad (Bikes, 4x Meltaguns, 3x Meltabombs, 3x Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer, 4x Storm Shields, Company Champion)

Troops:
Bike Squad (+5 Bikes, MM Attack Bike, Meltagun, Flamer, Powerfist)
Bike Squad (+5 Bikes, MM Attack Bike, Meltagun, Flamer, Powerfist)
Bike Squad (+1 Bike, MM Attack Bike, Meltagun, Flamer, Powerfist)

Fast:
Landspeeder (MM, HF)
Landspeeder (MM, HF)
Landspeeder (MM, HF)

Combat Squads, Captain and Librarian with Command Squad, I generally deployed the Speeders and turbo'd to block vehicles.

This list had little success, I think this was more to do with my fighting more foot horde based armies. So I got frustrated and changed to:

1750 Points Vanilla Bikes 2:

HQ:
Librarian (Bike, Null Zone, The Avenger)
Captain (Bike, Relic Blade)
Command Squad (Bikes, 4x Meltaguns, 3x Meltabombs, 3x Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer, 4x Storm Shields, Company Champion)

Troops:
Bike Squad (+5 Bikes, HB Attack Bike, Meltagun, Flamer, Powerfist)
Bike Squad (+5 Bikes, HB Attack Bike, Meltagun, Flamer, Powerfist)
Bike Squad (+1 Bike, HB Attack Bike, Powerfist)

Fast:
Landspeeder (Typhoon, HB)
Landspeeder (Typhoon, HB)
Landspeeder (Typhoon, HB)

Combat Squads for the first 2 bike squads, putting the Captain and Librarian with the Attack Bike squads to get all ld 9/10.

After using this list I can say that I found the Typhoons to be incredibly more useful, but still no luck. I have a knack for failing a 3+ save which wouldnt help, oh and when I make my 3+ saves I then go on to lose 4/5 Bikes to dangerous terrain rolls =(.

My opponents army started as a foot horde of Ghaz, 2 squads of 30 Sluggas, 12 kammandos and Snikrot, 12 lootas, 12 bikes, Looted Boomgun wagon, and 3 Lobbas. He's recently moved to 2 Battlewagons with 20 Shootas each, 12 Kommandos with Snikrot, 15 Stormboys, 1 or 2 Shokk Attack Guns, 2 squads of 15 Lootas, or something like that.

So are there any changes that can be made (I'm not opposed to getting a second command squad, just keeping the librarian for blood ravens fluff, and null zone), or any tips about playing bikes or vsing orks that could help?

Help me Kirby and the mighty Pink Army!
Vallek.

Well I certainly wouldn't want to tailor your army against Orks :p. So we're going to assume a balanced tournament list as I don't really think tailoring is kosher. Pure Bikers shouldn't have much issues with Horde orks, particularly the lists your opponent is using, as long as you use your Bikes right. Your opponent has to deploy on a wider front than you since he has more models. Whichever list you use, speed your Bikes into one part of your opponent's list and lead off with the Command Squad. They've got T5/3+/3++/FNP for a reason and whilst they will wreck whatever they touch in combat, they aren't the best anti-horde unit. Depending how your opponent deploys you should be able to take out one Loota unit (if he deploys both on one side, hit that side) as they can wound you easily and put some melta into the wagons. If you're using the Typhoons that's what they should be doing on the looted wagon or side shots on the Battlewagons. All you need to do is stun them.

Also, don't run Bikes through terrain, especially when the Command Squad is leading. They will provide cover to the rest of your force and have a 3++ anyway. Your opponent can obviously deploy to take advantage of terrain in this way but with only 25% terrain this shouldn't limit you excessively. I don't think your list has issues. You can make changes, etc. (i.e. combi-weapons, more bikes, double cmd, etc.) but the list isn't bad and I think refining your play might help.

Battle-reports would be particularly helpful to see where you are having issues as your target priority, deployment or movement might be issues, etc. The general advice above should help though.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...