Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Email in: Fast n Slow ... Orks?


After a long grace period I got back into 40k to disastrous results and after reading the internets and finding some helpful blogs such as yours I've significantly upped my game and being a lover of a challenge I'm out to play competitively with Orks (I've also got a very solid Tau army) but with orks being somewhat sub-optimal I thought I could have a stab at taking some of your ideas and applying them in a different way.
I thought this had some potential and is an army I really want to run and I think can be competitive but I wanted your opinion and some input.  I've been a reader for the last few months and I respect your opinions and enjoy your articles greatly. 

Well, sorry to disappoint, but Kirby has flicked your list to me, little ol' fester to have a looksee at.
Lets see what we have down here...

Without further ado here's the list:
HQ
Wazdakka

Big Mek - kustom force field, Boss Pole, 'Eavy Armor
Elites
Lootas x6

Lootas x6
Nob Bikers with Cybork bodies x5
Painboy - Grot Orderly
Nob - power Klaw
Nob - Banner
Nob - Boss Pole
Nob - Nake Chump

Troops
Warbikers x3

Warbikers x3
Warbikers x3
Warbikers x3
Warbikers x3
Gretchin x18 - runt herder
Fast Attack
Warbuggies x3 - Rokkit Launchers

Warbuggies x3 - Rokkit Launchers
Deff Koptas x2 - T/l Rokkit launchers x2, Buzz Saw x1
Heavy support
Killa Kans x3 - Rokkit Launchers

Killa Kans x3 - Rokkit Launchers
Killa Kans x3 - Rokkit Launchers
Total is 1999

Big mek attaches to the gretchin and walks up with the kans or holds an objective and conga lines to keep them with a 4+ cover while holding midfield/backfield.  Wazzdakka gets in their face and shoots str 8 into something as he and the nob bikers are hopefully in assault turn 2 onwards and the warbuggies will take cover from the warbikers as everything can put out some decent dakka and when something lands out of a transport they'll have to weather a LOT of fire and hopefully I'll be popping a fair amount of transports a turn with fast moving str 8 for side shots.
I think this list sounds like a blast to play and would get me pretty far in any tournament but I wanted some other opinions on it as well.  Thanks for your time if you get to it!

Well, thanks on behalf of the boss for liking what we do. If it wasn't for players responding positively to us we probably wouldn't bother :)

Anyway, onto the list.
Overall, I think it works and has a good chance of being competitive. I also have been thinking about Fast-n-Slow Orks, as I think they have the ability to really work.
However, saying all this, I think that your list is a little bit unfocused on a few points.

Basically, I see your list is trying to squeeze too many things in and is losing a bit of focus. What do I mean by this?
Well, a traditional Fast-n-slow is Dreads and Bikes. In order for Orks to do bikes, we use one HQ slot, and to max out Walkers we need to use the Big Mek. Then we need to hide him somewhere, exactly as you have done here. Basically, the way I see it is that you are wasting 160 points on trying to keep the Kans alive. This is usually a good deal, but in this list I think that those points are better spent elsewhere.

Anyway, let's look at 2 variants, firepower vs speed.
Firstly - Fast n Slow with max firepower
HQ
Wazdakka

Elites
11 Lootas
11 Lootas
11 Lootas

Troops
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob

Fast Attack
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits

Heavy Support
3 Killa Kans with Rokkits
3 Killa Kans with Rokkits
3 Killa Kans with Rokkits

So here we have lost the Nob-Star unit and gained some more firepower. We can swap the 3rd set of buggies for Koptas if you prefer.
Sum:
22 S8 shots per turn
33-99 S7 Shots per turn
6 PowerKlaws
9 Dreadnaught CCW's
18 TL S5 Shots

Now you notice that we have no home objective holder, nor KFF Mek. Simply put, those 2 units will equal the Lootas, who will do more for your list than the KFF. The Mek and Grots is 1 charge away from being run off the board, so it's really not a good spend in my opinion. When you get to place your objectives in-game, always put them in your enemy's lines, which is where you will end up with your troops.

List 2:
The Need for Speed ... and a little Slow Static

HQ
Wazdakka
Warboss, Bike, PowerKlaw, Attack Squig, Cybork Body

Elites
5 Lootas
5 Lootas
5 Lootas

Troops
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
3 Bikers with PK Nob
Nob Bikers with Cybork bodies x5 (Painboy, Power Klaw, Waaagh Banner, Boss Pole, Big Choppa)

Fast Attack
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits
3 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits

Heavy Support
3 Big Guns (Kannon) with 3 Ammo Runts and a Runtherd
3 Big Guns (Kannon) with 3 Ammo Runts and a Runtherd
3 Big Guns (Kannon) with 3 Ammo Runts and a Runtherd

So we have sacrificed the "mobility" of the Kans for Big Guns, and saved about 60 points per squad doing this. Buying a Warboss on Bike brings the Nobs into Troops letting them cruise around as a hammer unit backed by plenty of firepower.
Kannons have 36 inch range so they can sit in cover like the lootas and lay down support through midfield, and are effectively twin linked for a round's shooting using the Ammo Runts.

Finally, a truer Fast n Slow list, which is nothing like you asked for, but interesting all the same I think.

HQ
Wazdakka
KFF Mek

Elites
2 x 7 MANz

Troops
DeffDread, 2 Rokkits
5 x 3 Bikers with PK Nob

Heavy Support
3 x 3 Rokkit Kans

I think the list pretty much shows how it plays based on its simplicity. Wall of armored Nobs and Kans, backed by a layer of speedy bikers.

Anyway, hopefully that gave you some ideas. Let me know if I went a bit too far off-tangent.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...