Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Sunday, July 24, 2011

Email in: Starting Space Marines



"Hey Kirby,

I sent you an email a while back about starting Codex Space Marines and you gave me a fair amount of advice, in particular, starting at 1,000 points rather than 750. After doing a bit of list building I came up with a few ideas. The central idea is to start at that 1k mark and add to the army in 500 point increments. Let me know what you think.

2 x 10 Tactical Marines, Flamer, Multi-melta, rhino - 410
Librarian - 100
Sternguard Veteran Squad, 2 multimelta, razorback, lascannon, tl-plasmagun - 210
2 x 2 Multi-melta/heavy flamer Landspeeders - 280


Total: 1,000 Points
26 Infantry
7 Vehicles

+500
2 Dreadnoughts with 2 tl-autocannons - 250
3 Predator tanks with autocannon turrets and heavy bolter sponsons - 255

Total: 1,505 points
26 Infantry
12 Vehicles

+500
2 Multi-melta/heavy flamer Landspeeders - 140
2 x 5 Tactical Marines, razorback, lascannon tl-plasmagun - 330
Add a powerfist to the Sternguard Sgt.

Total: 2,000 points
36 Infantry
16 Vehicles

I have also toyed around with the idea of making a similar list in which I run a captain with a command squad of some sort. Also, I have an Ork list I might send to Fester.

Thanks for maintaining such an informative blog. I really enjoy reading it.

Stay pink!

-Dan"


Dan, nothing really wrong with the list though the only thing I would question is the Sternguard loadout. You don't really need a PFist with them and the two MMs make them pretty static and without a fire point Rhino, hard to get into position. I'd run them either more aggressive or more static and I prefer the aggressive route. If you go static, get longer ranged weapons such as Lascannons or get them a Rhino so they can move into position. Otherwise equip them with as many combi-meltas as possible (potentially heavy flamers as well) and run them as aggressive support with your Tacticals. I prefer this method as you get full usage out of their cheap combi-weapons and special ammo and it makes a great ride for the Libby.

Other than that everything looks good. Make sure to not go over points (even 5) though when you're scaling the list up and I would prefer the Libby over the Captain/Command Squad. The Libby provides much more for the army over the Captain which is really an unnecessary tax added onto the Command Squad.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...