Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Friday, January 20, 2012

Email in: 1500 pts WWP

sejason
"Long time lurker on your blog. I've found some pretty good nuggets of info on the varies list and unit reviews. But in the end I desperetly need some help against my usual opponent, Grey Knights. I have tried numerous things, venom spam, MSU warriors in raiders, reaver jetbikes, bloodbrides, grotesques, even a razorwing fighter, but the best I have ever managed has been draws. My transports and dedicated anti-tank just falls way to fast to the psyflemens, and the raiders/venoms are more dangerous to the troops inside than to my opponent. I recently however faced them down with a WWP list that immediatly placed him on the defensive, and forcing him react to me instead of running with his own plans. As such I think I might have found a way to beat him, but all the WWP lists I have created I have had a nagging feeling like I am missing something. I want a list that can stand up to the GK, but at the same time be fairly balanced against most other armies. So here is what I've come up with.


1500 Pts - Dark Eldar Roster

HQ: Haemonculus (2#, 170 pts)
1 Haemonculus, 170 pts (Webway Portal x1)
1 Haemonculus (Webway Portal x1)

Elite: Kabalite Trueborn (5#, 113 pts)
4 Kabalite Trueborn, 113 pts
1 Venom (Splinter Cannon)

Elite: Kabalite Trueborn (5#, 113 pts)
4 Kabalite Trueborn, 113 pts
1 Venom (Splinter Cannon)

Troops: Wracks (7#, 70 pts)
7 Wracks, 70 pts

Troops: Wyches (10#, 140 pts)
9 Wyches, 140 pts (Haywire Grenades)
1 Hekatrix (Haywire Grenades; Power Weapon)

Troops: Wyches (10#, 140 pts)
9 Wyches, 140 pts (Haywire Grenades)
1 Hekatrix (Haywire Grenades; Power Weapon)

Troops: Wyches (10#, 120 pts)
9 Wyches, 120 pts
1 Hekatrix (Power Weapon)

Troops: Wyches (10#, 120 pts)
9 Wyches, 120 pts
1 Hekatrix (Power Weapon)

Fast Attack: Hellion (10#, 190 pts)
9 Hellion, 190 pts
1 Helliarch (Phantasm Grenade Launcher)

Heavy Support: Talos Pain Engine (1#, 120 pts)
1 Talos Pain Engine, 120 pts (Chain-flails; TL Heat Lance)

Heavy Support: Cronos Parasite Engine (1#, 100 pts)
1 Cronos Parasite Engine, 100 pts (Spirit Vortex,Spirit Syphon)

Heavy Support: Cronos Parasite Engine (1#, 100 pts)
1 Cronos Parasite Engine, 100 pts (Spirit Vortex, Spirit Syphon)

Total Roster Cost: 1496

I can deploy the haemonculus in the venoms behind some terrain if I don't get first turn, or out of them as close as possible to my opponent if I do get first turn. Everything will be placed in reserve except for the trueborn, haemonculi, and the wracks. The wracks will be my home objective camping unit, as they will be tough to dislodge with gtg 3+ cover and FnP. What I am concerned with however, is that I do not have enough AT coming through the WWP to open up transports and allow my wyches to get into CC. Blast pistols on the hekatrix are expensive, and do not really have the range to be desired, as well as they probably will be fleeting to get into CC so they don't torrented by bolter fire. The Helions can at least get a multi-assault on most vehicles, and im my experience glance the living hell out of anything they hit. Only trouble with GK is that they can ignore 66% of the damage done on the glancing chart. So, I think I am coming dangerously close to a viable WWP list, I just feel like I am missing something basic. Thanks for the help!

DoZer"


Dark Eldar hate Psyfledreads and if running a non-WWP list, the best way to deal with them is often ignore them and take the damage they'll deal to you on the chin. You can try to gamble and throw as many Dark Lances at them as possible but you're often better off going after the Razorbacks to do anything better than a stunned result to them.

Otherwise running a WWP list is a fine idea, particularly built arounch Wyches. Wyches don't really lose anything going against Grey Knights in combat with their 4++ and since each Grey Knight is more expensive than your normal Marine, well double win there. You're not going to get your FNP roll though, even against a lot of shooting with Psybacks being S6. Regardless, several large squads with Haywire Grenades are solid and effective against a lot of forces.

What do you put around the Wyches then? I like the Hellions but I think you should be running the Baron as well as he'll get you that +1 to choose who goes first roll. Very nice to have. I also wouldn't run any Venoms. You can if you wish but if you don't get first turn, they are going down in a massive fireball so it becomes a case of how much you want to risk on getting the first turn. I prefer Harlequins as a WWP delivery unit - they are very hard to hit in the early turns and whilst don't have the movement rate of the Venoms, are still going to be putting those portals 18"+ onto the table (use a large Wych squad in Dawn of War). With the 13-18" charge range of Wyches and 19-24" of Beasts, you've got a lot of coverage there.

I wouldn't bother with the Wracks either. They are a decently durable unit but if you're finding you need a backfield scorer, grab some Warriors and leave a FNP token with them or just hussle a unit back (i.e. Hellions) later in the game.

From there I'd expand with Beastmasters, potentially Scourges/Reavers for some more special weapons and grab a 2nd Haemonculus for double WWP action to get greater board coverage. Beasts are great out of a WWP thanks to their charge range and whilst Force Weapons can really screw them, they are great unit against nearly all opponents - even against Grey Knights if you can smack them around enough first and the Khymeras can absorb wounds. I also would run at least two Talos instead of two Cronos in your Heavy Support - you don't want too much utility and not enough killy.

*edit* sorry this is 1500 not 1750 - first subject title asked for 1750 :P. With this in mind, don't run the Cronos, you don't really need to maximise your FoC here. Three large Wyches backed up by the Hellions, two Harlequins, a Beastmaster squad and two Talos sounds about right though you're going to be low on anti-tank shooting. If you find this, potentially drop the Wych numbes and grab some Reavers/Scourges to help in that department.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...