Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Email in: Sternguard for squishing bugs?

B&C

"Hi Kirby,

like most e-mailers, I'll start by saying that I'm a long time listener, but first time caller and really enjoy the blog articles.

I've been collecting 40k a while, but only playing occasionally for a year or so as Orks. As I've now painted 2k of Greenskins I'm moving on to painting some smurfs (I've played a couple of test games), hence the e-mail.

I'm pretty lucky as both my regular(ish) opponents play as 'Nids, so I can be pretty specific in my list (it won't be going to competition!), although future opponents may be Tau and 'Crons (I've not factored this into the below).

I'm really after talking elites, especially Sternguard Vs Rifleman in a bug hunting list. In a "standard" elites FOC I see a lot of 2 or 3 rifleman dreads depending on whether terminators are making an appearance. As I initially plan not to run the TH/SS chappies that gives me 12 x s7, AP3 shots per turn @48" on an AV12 platform. Including for rerolls that’s 10 to 11 hits per turn @S7. A lot of hurt, but no instagib on T4 multi wound blighters (warriors, raveners, biovores, thropes etc.). Both my opponents both like T4 and multiwound. S7 is obviously nice for bodywork on MC due to the 3+ roll to wound and AP3 makes me smile.

On the other hand I'm attracted to the flexibility Sternguard offer. Having seen the results of rapidfire hellfire rounds on MC (i.e. death), coupled with the fact that they allow a couple of either krak or frag missiles a turn (again flexible), that you get an AV11 tin box to camp said ML in, have the option to mount combiflamers for crowd control and that none of the remaining special issue ammo is truly useless, they obviously provide a credible, flexible (points dependant), alternative. The obvious solution is to take the MOTF and run the riflemen in HS, but that means losing 85 point AC/HB preds and paying an extra 100 point tax for the privilege as illustrated by my second list.

Okay, so none of the above means a lot of anything in isolation - here is where I am at the minute (I'm well aware that there is nothing revolutionary here) .

Option 1

HQ
Librarian w. nullzone and Avenger (100)

Troops
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)

Elites
7 x Sternguard, 2 x M/L, Rhino (220)
7 x Sternguard, 2 x M/L, Rhino (220)
7 x Sternguard, 2 x M/L, Rhino (220)

Heavy Support
Pred AC/HB (85)
Pred AC/HB (85)
Pred AC/HB (85)

Fast Attack
Speeder MM/HB (70)
Speeder MM/HB (70)
2 x typhoon (180)

By dropping a Speeder, Pred and Sternguard, I can have...

Option 2

HQ
Librarian w. nullzone and Avenger (100)
MOTF (100)

Troops
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)
5 x Tactical, LasPlasback (165)

Elites
7 x Sternguard, 2 x M/L, 3 x Combi flamer, Rhino (235)
7 x Sternguard, 2 x M/L, 3 x Combi flamer, Rhino (235)
1 x Rifleman (125)

Heavy Support
Pred AC/HB (85)
Pred AC/HB (85)
1 x Rifleman (125)

Fast Attack
Speeder MM/HB (70)
2 x typhoon (180)

The second dread in the HS slot now becomes a lot of points (in effect 225) so it follows that I would be better to reinstate the Pred (+85) and Speeder (+70) drop a squad of Sternguard (-235) and MOTF (-100) and bump the Sternguard count up to 10 in that first squad (+105 inc. combi weapons) leaving 75 points to either buff the libby and share out some HK love or to double up one of the FA slots (meaning a total of five speeders). If I don't add the extra 3 sternguard to that first slot then there is always the option of another Tactical LasPlasback squad.

Advice and thoughts would be great!

Rich.

P.s. Been using my shiny pink 3++ dice of late, and I am pleased to report they are showing far more 6's than 1's (My Killa Kans rolling snake eyes when I only needed 2's to dispatch the last of a warrior brood that was sitting on an objective was somewhat out of character for them...)

Keep up the good work!"


Glad the dice are working out for you! One of my friends just used his set for the first time yesterday and they rolled pretty terribly (though when I rolled they did brilliantly, he's just bad at rolling :P).

In regards to your list - first, you should never really be looking to tailor. Yes you may only play a specific type of opponent but it makes it less fun for both of you taking tailored lists as it comes down to who can predict best what your opponent is bringing. Not a good way to go and if your gaming group ever expands in terms of armies, you want to be able to have a list which doesn't require you to buy more stuff and still be able to compete. Secondly, Autocannons are only AP4 not AP3. Riflemen are very good at popping light AV transports and otherwise causing suppression or reliable save forcing on high Toughness models but they aren't going to be downing them anytime soon.

With that in mind, option 1 is your best bet with one minor change - drop one Sternguard squad to buff both of the others out to 10-strong with lots of combis. This allows you to combat squad if necessary and let the missile launchers shoot from the backfield whilst still sending units out to hunt the Tyranids. Mostly combi-meltas would be best as it keeps you in line for any other opponents you run into (and are still dead useful against MCs) but chucking in a couple flamers isn't going to hurt either. The combat squadding allows you to maximise the placement of these different combis as well.

Other than that, list 1 looks solid. I agree with you in regards to the tax for Option 2 so wouldn't go down that road. The only thing you might be worried about is the light scoring load you've got - one might consider dropping the Typhoons (either completely or to a MM/HF Speeder) to flesh out one or two Tactical squads so you have some more durability in that regad.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...