Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Sunday, April 8, 2012

Army of the Dead- Painting Chaos Nurgle Death Guard

MBG back again, and today I'm going to go over step by step how I painted up my Chaos Space Marine Death Guard models for an upcoming Apocalypse Game.

It was really simple and took about 4-5 hours total for each squad of ten, which I thought for the end result was great.  Keep in mind they are Nurgle so there is "perfect" involved, messy is just fine.

I'm not sure how this would look on a say a regular Space Marine, or normal figure, but it would definitely work on say Orks, or Traitor / Renegade guardsmen.




First step was Necrotic Flesh Primer by Army Painter.  This gives a great base to work from. Remember though when working with this line of primers you have to get closer to your models (like 8 inches? or so) when you spray.  This prevents the primer from atomizing or picking up dust in the air, and "fuzzing" your models.

I also primed about 25% of the models just plain white to get a slight natural variance to each squad.

Then I base coated the model with the brightest versions of the colors I wanted, so that they would show through the washes I would do later. For gold I used burnished, metals were Mithril, fleshy areas I did Tallarn Flesh, pustules I painted Sunburst Yellow, and clothes/ bandages I painted Bleached Bone, or Khaki.



After that's done, I did I slightly watered down wash with Gw's Ogyrn Flesh. To apply the washes I like to used a straight drybrush because besides holding more wash in the bristles, the chisel actually helps to disperse the wash better on the model.

Starting at the top of the model I worked my way down from the backpack to the feet.  In this picture I didn't apply the flesh wash to the metals.

On the rest of the figures I did apply the wash, and I think it looked better end result wise.



After letting that dry (I used a small table top fan aimed at each squad), I then applied a slightly watered down Thraka Green wash to mostly the whole model, but left some areas alone randomly.



Next up was a Devlin Mud wash to the metals (and bolter stock), followed by a Gryphone Sepia/ Devlin Mud wash to the cloth areas.

After all that I went back with a 75/25 Hawk Tourquise/ Black mix to basecoat to the weapons, as well as anywhere I wanted to make a squad mark.  

Next I highlighted that with straight Hawk, and then with a 50/50 Hawk and White mix.



The whole base was basecoated with  50/50 Scorched Brown / Dark Flesh. Then drybrushed Khaki, and finally bronzed flesh.



Last I attached tuffs of static grass to the base with some super glue. I hate using the super glue to do this (cause it always seems to get onto my figures) BUT once it dries, that grass is on there. Plus I really like how it "tuffs" up into like patches of grass.

And that's it. Pretty simple, and quick. I really like how they turned out. This same method can be used for anything really from Rhinos to Titans. I am actually painting up a Warhound Titan in this scheme as well.


The rest of the squad pics are below.

 Squad Basecoated
 Squad Finished
 Second Sgt
 White Primer Base
Necrotic Flesh Primer Base

Let me know what you think of the squad, or if you have any questions. -MBG

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...