Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Sunday, December 18, 2011

Email in: Necron Concept



"I know you must be bombarded by emails recently, so I'll try and keep this short.

Short starts off with me saying how much I appreciate your blog, you've got a lot of great authors on there, and it really helps me get better at the game to see the collective brainstorming of intelligent minds such as yourselves.

So, here's what I've got. I keep reading Necron lists (mostly on 3++) and I haven't seen anything like this one. I came up with it while trying to help a friend with limited models build a 2K list for a local tournament coming up, so I'm wondering if it is valid as a concept, or if there's some flaw I'm missing.


Necron, Staff-O'-Light Spam

Overlord, Warscythe -100
-Catacomb Command Barge - 80
-Royal Court-
5x Lord - 175
2x Harbinger of Destruction - 70

Overlord, Warscythe -100
-Catacomb Command Barge - 80
-Royal Court-
5x Lord - 175
2x Harbinger of Destruction - 70

Necron Warriors x5 - 65
-Ghost Ark -115

Necron Warriors x5 - 65
-Ghost Ark -115

3x Annihilation Barge - 270

Comes to 1480pts for what I would consider a "core".

Basic premise is you don't split off any member of each Royal Court, instead using them as 7(or more if you prefer) model units. Which each hijack a Ghost Ark from the warriors, giving you two units in AV13 open-topped bunkers who can output 15 S5 AP3 and 2 S8 AP2 shots on the move. That's really the whole point of this concept, and I doubt it works as is at 1500. But at 2K, I think you can make it work by taking your choice of Troops to fill out the 520 spare points, and maybe adding in a Solar Pulse for some early protection.

Do you think its a good idea, especially in a marine-heavy environment, and if so, how would you fill out the last quarter to make it viable?"


Short answer back - I'd scratch the concept I'm afraid. Lots of armies can do AP2 spam better (i.e. Imperial armies) but you don't see them do it - why? You pay too many points per low AP shot which isn't all that important in 5th edition with cover being so dominate. This may change in 6th edition but if so, Destroyers are likely a better option if Preferred Enemy affects shooting as well (and you don't have to steal a transport to make it work which is still subject to suppression despite Living metal).

I think if you were going for such an army even now, I'd recommend Destroyers and Gauss Cannons on every Barge you take. It's still going to be hampered by 5th edition cover rules but you're more likely setup for 6th edition and can use the Royal Courts for multiple Lance Crypteks and spend the rest of your points on AV13 vehicles to provide target priority issues for your opponent. Double command Barge, 10x Lance crypteks, triple Annihilation Barge, 6x5x Warriors in Arks and however many Destroyers for AP3 love sounds a lot better than what you've got (but is likely well over 2000 points as well ^^). So let's drop some Crypteks and a Barge and we have enough points for 6-8 Destroyers depending on how many Crypteks you lose. For example:

2x Scythe Barges
6x Lance Crypteks
6x5x Warriors w/Ark
2x4x Destroyer
2x Annihilation Barges

Not super fantastic but not relying on the FAQ to allow double Lance Crypteks into units, nets you 10 AV13 vehicles with quite a bit of suppressing fire and you still have a bunch of AP3 shots for giggles or if 6th edition favors such an army more.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...