Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Thursday, December 15, 2011

Email in: Need Help With Necrons 1850


"Hey Kirby,

I'm a long time reader, first time writer about to embark into the new and strange world of Necrons. I've been having a bit of trouble conceptualizing a list since it's such a radically different playstyle from what I'm used to. I'm shooting for a list that is competitive enough to not hold me back in tournaments, but I'm not too concerned with beating faces.

So far I've come up with:


Anrakyr the Traveller
Catacomb Command Barge with Gauss Cannon
245

Royal Court
Cryptek Harbinger of Destruction (goes with warriors)
35
Cryptek Harbinger of Destruction (goes with warriors)
35
Cryptek Harbinger of Despair with Veil of Darkness (goes with Immortals)
60

Elites:

Triarch Stalker
150

Triarch Stalker
150

Troops:
8 Warriors with Ghost Ark
219

8 Warriors with Ghost Ark
219

9 Immortals(Pyhrrian Eternals)
Tesla Carbines
153

Fast Attack:
5 Canoptek Wraiths
2 Whip Coils
1 Particle Caster
1 Transdimensional Beamer
215

3 Heavy Destroyers
180

3 Heavy Destroyers
180

1841/1850

Basic plan is to use the Stalkers in cover to tag enemy units for the Immortals, heavy destroyers etc. If I lose the stalkers, Ive drawn a chunk of the firepower for minimal loss to my army's functionality. Warriors zip around in arks and bunker around objectives. Wraiths are counter assault/disruption units kitted out for allocation. Anrakyr runs disruption on enemy units, and controls tanks for effect.

The key thing I'm hoping to achieve with this list is functional redundancy, there is no one element that, if lost, would totally ruin the army. However, the flipside is that I'm concerned I won't be able to do enough damage since I'm so busy covering my bases. I've yet to do much playtesting with it, so I don't know if I have enough anti infantry, and I feel like I'm hinging a lot of hope on my ability to make 3+ saves. I also feel like the Wraiths might be a little underwhelming, but I just plain like them, and feel like their maneuverability makes them a great assault response asset.

This is for my next big army project and I'm going to be doing a LOT of converting, so I'd like to get as much feedback on its efficiency as possible. Better to be told something sucks now than after 10+ hours of working on it.

Thanks again for your time, and keep making the internet a better place for us gamers!
Sean"


For 1850 it feels light. A few things - Wraiths aren't going to really benefit from wound allocation. The points you invest to allow this is generally better spent elsewhere. The Stalkers aren't going to be the best fit in the army either - I've found they work best when there's lots of Teslamortals around so the twin-linking aspect can really come into it. I'm also not a fan of the three Heavy Destroyers - I feel squads of one or two are better as they are less cost prohbitive. Whilst this may seem counter-intutitive in relation to reanimation protocols, it allows you to get more units into the army. Finally, Solar Pulse is better than Veil of Darkness.

So what I'd be looking to do is trim the fat, grab some Annihilation Barges (they are that good and not taking them deserves a very good explanation) and add in some more Teslamortals or Warriors with Ghost Arks. This is in place of the Stalkers, a couple of the Heavy Destroyers and the upgrades on the Wraiths. You should also try and get more Crypteks for more Lance options as well (and a Solar Pulse).

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...