Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Sunday, February 5, 2012

Email in: Vanilla Mech Marines 2k

Blade Fall
"Hey Kirby,

Love the blog, it's been very helpful to me returning back to the game (hadn't played since 3.0 until late last year). When I first came back, I think I fell a little into the "TacMarines suck" groupthink so started playing (successfully, I might add) BA because mobile killiness appeals to me. Anyway, even though it's possibly too late with 6th on the horizon, I kind of would like to revisit my first love, Vanilla Codex Marines. Below are two slightly similar 2k lists based in part on the models I have (don't own a 3rd dred or any non-Baal preds), but also which I think work well:


List 1:

HQ MoTF w/conversion Beamer 120

Troops:
10x Tac in rhino with MM/Mg/CM 220
10x Tac in rhino with MM/Mg/CM 220

Elites:
5x TH/SS in LRC with EA and MM 475
8 x Sternguard in Rhino with 3xCm and 2xHF 270

Heavy
2x Rifledreads 2x125
10x Dev with 4x ML w/PlasBack 305

Fast support:
2x MM/HF Landspeeders (2 squadrons) 2x70

List 2:

MOTF w/conv beamer 120

Troops:
10x Tac in rhino with MM/Mg/CM 220
10x Tac in rhino with MM/Mg/CM 220

Elites:
5x TH/SS in LRC with EA and MM 475
10x SG with 5x Cm w/ PlasBack 340

Heavy
2x Rifledreads 2x125
5x Dev with 4x ML w/PlasBack 225

Fast support:
2x MM/HF Landspeeders (2 squadrons) 2x70

Idea should be obvious enough - place I play there are ruins in deployment zone 80% of the time so either list the MoTF fortifies the ruin with the Dev squad(s), perhaps joining a squad in list 1 (since I can already combat squad to split fire), but not in list 2. If he's gonna be sitting at the back, the conversion beamer is like giving him a longer range demolisher with a 3++ save. Rifle Dreads for suppression and some anti-infantry, Landspeeders for popping armour/killing hordes, with the Tacs, Sternies (either in the rhino for HF drive bys or Combat squaded in PlasmaBacks in list 2) and Termies charging forward with the Razors.

Though the beamer obviously gets weaker as the game progresses, I have so much melta in midfield that this shouldn't be a problem, plus it gives me decent options to destroy/suppress opposing artillery (which, to be fair, there isn't much of in my gaming club).

Is the tri-melta too much in the tacs, points better spent on more combis in the sternies or maybe save some points for one more TH/SS Termie

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Seth"


I think you've got all the right ideas here except your scoring is a little light in both lists, particularly since you don't want to be combat squadding with that setup. A quick change I might do is adding a Missile Launcher in place of the MM there so you can combat squad and get a more effective scoring force. Scrounging together 100 points for a cloaked Scout squad would also be great as they could chill with the MotF and throw out two blasts which wound most things on 2's.

Best list to do this in is list 1, cut back on the Sternguard to five-strong and grab the Scouts and put together the points to make the Rhino a LasPlas Razorback again to ensure you still have some good firepower.

I will stress the rockness of the LRC + TH/SS - I generally prefer to see this as 10x TH/SS instead and use a Gate Libby to expand their threat range but if you're happy to have one big target which can be slapped around by melta, that's okay. Just don't throw it willy nilly at the opponent and expect to do well!

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...