Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Friday, February 4, 2011

Email in: NOVA Ork Advice

 So I've got my ticket for the Nova Open, I'm excited to play at what is starting to be considered the highest level of play in North America. Its a long ways away so I have time to prepare. I have three armies right now, Space Wolves, Chaos Marines and Orks. I really want to avoid Space Wolves as they will be in abundance and "the army to beat". I truely feel chaos has no chance, Orks on the other hand may have hope.
 

First, Hi Mark.
Now to business. I agree, Chaos aren't really up there, and Space Wolves are the current "it" thing.
I also agree that Orks have a hope, but you will need to play agressively and well to make them work, and also get a bit of luck.

  Me and my Dark Eldar buddy Woah, Dark Eldar players can have friends? are travelling about 600 miles to attend this grand tournament so I'm taking it seriously in what I bring, which brings me to this: I may start a new army just to compete. For now though I'm stuck on my first love which is Orks and also I'd rather have extensive experience with a flawed codex than play a 5th. On to the Ork list, so far it has beaten everything I put it against. Yet only 3 armies I would imagine I'd see at the Open.


HQ:Big Mek -KFF (85)
Warboss - Bike, Klaw (125)

Elites:5 x lootas (75)
5 x lootas (75)
Nob Bikers x 5 (330)
- painboy w / bosspole
-Nob w/ BC , Kombi-skorcha
-Nob w/ BC , Kombi-rokkit
-Nob w/ BC , Kombi-skorcha, waagh banner
-Nob w/ PK , Kombi-skorcha

Troops: Nobs x 5 (365)
-painboy w/ bosspole, eavy armor
- Nob w/ BC, Kombi-skorcha, eavy armor
- Nob w/ BC, Kombi-rokkit, eavy armor
- Nob w/ BC, Kombi-skorcha, eavy armor, waagh banner
- Nob w/ PK, Kombi-skorcha, eavy armor
Dedicated Transport
- Battlewagon
w/ Deffrolla, big shoota, boarding plank, red paint job, grot rigers

Gretchin x 10 , Runtherder (40)
Gretchin x 10 , Runtherder (40)
Gretchin x 10 , Runtherder (40)
Gretchin x 10 , Runtherder (40)
Gretchin x 18 , Runtherder (64)

Fast Attack:Warbuggies x 3, w/ twin linked rokkits (105)
Warbuggies x 3, w/ twin linked rokkits (105)
Warbuggies x 3, w/ twin linked rokkits (105)

Heavy Support:Killa Kans x 3 w/ rokkits (150
Killa Kans x 3 w/ Grotzookas (135)
Battlewagon (120)
- deffrolla
- big shoota
- grot riggers

1999

Well, overall, a mean list. I can see here we are talking:
Nob bikers, Nob Wagon, and another scoring BW, all charging up the board. We pray that between the 2 wagons and the Buggies and Kans, that the other guy will ignore the grots as they are the scoring units.

Sorry to say, that in the NOVA format, small, forgettable troops (i.e. 10 grots in cover) don't get forgotten on the top tables.
What this means is - 1 or 2 squads might get ignored, 5 won't.

Now I will also admit that this army is very hard for me to fathom in playstyle, and also what it looks like on the table - so I will try something different for our viewers:



This is what the army looks like deployed. Seems to me that its 1/2 horde 1/2 mechanized.
Honestly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't see this actually working too well against the top tier armies.

In summary, 3 Kans + 9 Buggies is 4 targets (maybe) hit a turn... This is a start, and the Lootas help,  but the buggies should be pretty much toast T1 (lasplas razors, bolters, living lightning, etc) and the Battlewagons will be stunned (Rifleman, etc). 2 x 5 man loota squads are 2 wounds from running, and most armies will make you test 1st turn. From there, you have 1 rock unit - Nob Bikers - to fear, which will be hit with their Rock (TH/SS Termies) and the same will happen to your other NobStar unit.

I sound like I am on a downer here, and well, I am. If this is an army you are comfortable with it will play better for you than anything I can whip up.
Honestly though, I am just not feeling the Grots as sturdy objective holders, even gone to ground in cover. A single charge from even a Combat squad should see them running away.

Here is a thought: Go balls-to-the-wall.

fester's Balls-to-the-wall.

HQ
Warboss, PowerKlaw
Warboss, PowerKlaw
Yes, that's right, no force field!
Elites
3 Nobs, Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota ...get used to reading this
3 Nobs, Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota
3 Nobs, Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota

Troops
5 Nobs, PowerKlaw, Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota
5 Nobs, PowerKlaw, Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota
10 Grots
10 Grots
10 Grots
10 Grots

Fast Attack
3 Rokkit Buggies
3 Rokkit Buggies
3 Rokkit Buggies

Heavy Support
Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota
Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota
Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla Bigshoota

Subtle? No.
If you preferred, you can kull the 30 boyz to be all grotz. You could also make the Troops Nobs a bit more NobStar as well.

***I am not saying that this is better than your list, just different, and more solid for scoring units and in-your-face offense.***

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...