Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Monday, November 14, 2011

Email in: 1750 GK for review

"vHi Kirby

I've been following your blog for a few weeks now. It's really a goldmine of worthwhile information that's not been polluted by ignorance and hear-say. Awesome! And your website is being spread around Denmark as best I can :)

I've been on a one year hiatus from 40k due to finishing my master thesis. I sold my Plague Marine army (that actually worked well for me without it being a finely tuned army) and are now building a Grey Knights army (and Tau - but GK are first in line!).


I'm living in a big city and there's a good 40k scene in Denmark, so I've got lots of potential opponents. Usually we're a few guys playing each other, though. We tend to mix between tough lists and more just "just-for-the-fun-of-it" lists. This one is supposed to be a the tougher end of the scale. I'm aware of the value of three Rifle Dreads, but (and here's my handicap) I find it detrimental to my fun in gaming if the list gets to "spammy". So just two - no more of them :)

What I'd like is your opinion on the list; perhaps a few tweaks or a major overhaul. I've played a few games with it and find that pushing hard for midfield and piling on pressure with Storm Bolters and heavy weapons works well. My Terminators are supposed to be a counter attack unit, but haven't seen much combat - they provide some fine shooting as well, though, so it's not the greatest problem in the world :)
So far I've found that I have an ok amount of AT and AI shooting - the Vendicare is a biatch. The whole "soft-em-up-and-finish-in-CC" works fine :)

I originally had a Techmarine insted of the Inquisitor and Chimera (+hench), but found that though the 3+ cover bunker (2+ with Libby) was a fortress, it was also keeping me in the backfield. The Inquisitor was bought to bring grenades and he does that just fine. The Chimera was originally bought as a Ride for the Termies and the Libby, but without it being an assault vehicle I find it lacking.

However, I've devised a new plan. Instead of using the minimal unit of Acolytes and either the Rad or Psykotroke grenades (+ a servoskull) I'd go for three servitors (MM) along with the Inquisitor and Libby in the Chimera. The Terminators will then either move up on foot or Deep Strike. The Chimera is now turned into a second-hand gun-boat instead of a less-than-stellar assault vehicle.

My questions are:

1) What would you choose, if you could only choose one! Rad or Psykotroke?
2) Would replacing a MM servitor with a mystic be a good idea? It would ensure that I could put Termies and perhaps Intercepters in reserve and still land right in front of my lines if need be (without scattering into my own units).
3) Should I just lose the whole Inquisitor deal and accept my 3++ bunker in backfield on move the rest of the army to midfield? (thus getting the Tech back in).

HQ: Librarian (180 pts)
. . 1 Librarian, Mastercrafted Halberd
. . Psychic powers: Might of Titan + Quicksilver + Sanctuary + The Shrouding

HQ: Inquisitor (63 pts)
. . Rad, Psykotroke grenades. Power armour.

Elite: Vindicare Assassin (145 pts)

Elite: 3 Warrior Acolytes (12 pts)
Chimera. Multilaser (55 pts)

Troops: Grey Knight Strike Squad (160 pts)
. . 5 Grey Knight Strike Squad, 1 Psycannon
. . . . 1 Razorback + Psybolt Ammunition

Troops: Grey Knight Strike Squad (160 pts)
. . 5 Grey Knight Strike Squad, 1 Psycannon
. . . . 1 Razorback + Psybolt Ammunition

Troops: Grey Knight Strike Squad (160 pts)
. . 5 Grey Knight Strike Squad, 1 Psycannon
. . . . 1 Razorback + Psybolt Ammunition

Troops: Grey Knight Terminator Squad (230 pts)
. . 5 Grey Knight Terminator Squad + 1 Psycannon
. . . . 1 Terminator Justicar Master-craft Nemesis Hammer

Heavy Support: Dreadnought (135 pts)
. . 1 Dreadnought Twin-Linked Autocannon x2, Psybolts

Heavy Support: Dreadnought (135 pts)
. . 1 Dreadnought Twin-Linked Autocannon x2, Psybolts

Fast Attack: Grey Knight Interceptor Squad (315 pts)
. . 10 Grey Knight Interceptor Squad, Psybolt Ammunition and 2 Psycannons
. . . . 1 Justicar Master-craft Nemesis Weapon(s) + MC Nemesis Daemonhammer

Med venlig hilsen/Kind Regards"


1) Rad
2) Starting them on the board is going to have a better effect on the game but having that option isn't a bad idea.
3) Personally - I would. I'd just not bother with the Inquisitor + Chimera concept and would rather spend these points on fleshing out the Terminator squad numbers or taking an Inquisitor with Terminator armor + Psycannon + servo skulls and putting the Libby + Inquisitor + Terminators together.

Otherwise the list looks solid if a bit light on some anti-tank - psycannons will only take you so far unfortunately but you then have the mobility of the Interceptors up your sleeve - something most Grey Knight lists don't have.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...