Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Saturday, December 24, 2011

Email in: Want to Really Get Started, Looking for Help

Tale of Painters

"Hello Kirby,

I've Been Following my Husband to his Weekly Gambes Nights for a little under a year now and Have been Curious about trying to Start Playing the 40k Version, I ussually sit Reading a book or fall asleep resting my head on one of the unused Tables but I would like to try and get more Involved In it.

I have been getting the Main idea of Playing from a 300 Point 10 Week League going on right now that allows 1 Boss and 1 Troop Squad where 6 People go on a heavy Terrain Table to Capture Tokens with the HQ's, It's fun to watch sometimes especially with the Robots Lightning Guy or Tyranids spawning babies non stop.

I have been reading some of the open codices, Messing Around in Army Builder and Reading posts on 3plusplus when my husband checks it a million times a day, With some Attempted help from him and some of the other Players There I have mostly Decided on Ultra Marines as they seem kind of the most simple without all the unique special rules and stuff.

I know I shouldnt just go ahead and jump right into a big army but I can get alot of stuff from my husband and friends to get me going so i Tried for a 1500 List.
for 1000 Points I would probably drop the Terminators+LRC and Termie Librarian, drop 1 pred and speeder, change the librarian to small version and put him in a razorback with some Tactical Guys.

For this Version I'm a little concerned about only 2 Tactical Squads but with the Speeders hopefully surviving I can Explode some Tanks and shoot the contents up with the Predators or assault a big unit with the Terminators.

Thanks,

Sadie

HQ:

Librarian in Terminator Armor (140)
Storm Shield, Null Zone, Smite

Elite:

x5 Assault Terminators (460)
x3 TH/SS x2 LC

Land Raider Crusader
Muli-Melta

Troop:

x10 Tactical Marines (210)
MeltaGun, Missle Launcher
Rhino

x10 Tactical Marines (210)
MeltaGun, Missle Launcher
Rhino

Fast:

Land Speeder (70)
MM/HF

Land Speeder (70)
MM/HF

Land Speeder (70)
MM/HF

Heavy:

Predator (85)
Auto Cannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Predator (85)
Auto Cannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Predator (85)
Auto Cannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons"



The list is pretty solid though as I'm sure you know from reading 3++, I'm not a rock unit fan (i.e. the TH/SS in LRC). I feel this unit wouldbe better served not in the LRC but rather with a couple more bodies + the Libby in a Thunderbubble style list (use the Terminators in front of the army as a deterrent and counter-assault unit). Don't use all the LRC points on the Terminators and you can get buy a small Scout squad with camo cloaks + ML and have a 3rd scoring option. To 1750-2000 points you can add more TH/SS to the original squad, another Tactical squad and some Dreadnoughts.

If you're set on the LRC + TH/SS however, extra armor is key and I'd shave some upgrades from the Libby to ensure that's possible. For 1750-2000 you're looking to double up the LRC + TH/SS combo (and here's where points really become an issue) whilst also improving your scoring (which likely means dropping a Pred for the aforementioned Scout unit).

Personally, I'd go with the Thunderbubble style list as you improve your scoring stature whilst keeping the TH/SS as a significant threat without being easily blocked or having 250+ points shot out from under you thanks to one meltagun.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...