Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Saturday, May 1, 2010

3++ Crew Vassal BatRep Part 1: The Lists



Hey all! While I'm still working on part 3 of my Aircav series, I decided to take a break and write up this Bat Rep from a very fun and competitive battle between GWvs John and I from a few nights back. Some of you may have seen us playing and watched some of it, but for those who missed it, he and I will write our thoughts of the game, turn by turn. I'll have my commentary in blue, GW's will write his in red. So bear with us as he and I are on different time schedules, so it may be a day or so before this article is complete. And there will be many, many screenshots. Now onto the first part, the lists!

Kirby edit: seriously, you made my eyes hurt looking at that small text =D

Roland's 2K of Wolfy Fun: "The Varyags of Miklagaard VII"
This list is built around a combination of an Amon Amarth song and the historical viking's who served alongside the Byzantine Emperor. As such, the names/units are influenced by Norse mythology and history. I also tried to incorporate historical "realism" into the game and I'll explain this fluff piece as I go into the units.

HQ:
Master of Runes Odin - Fairly basic mythological influenced character. Can't be Norse without Odin on your side! Rune Priest, Living Lightning, Tempests Wrath, WTN, Chooser of the Slain, Saga of the Beast Slayer, Total: 120

Lord Tyr - He represents the viking lord in charge of the Varangian Guard during the Byzantine times. Granted vikings didn't really ride cavalry, but hey the Kataphractoi were heavy Byzantine cavalry and I figured he would fit in nicely with that concept. Wolf Lord, Wolf Claw, SS, Saga of Warrior Born, Wolf Tail, Talisman, Thunderwolf Mount
Total: 235

Elites:

Dreadnought - Akin to the mighty ballistae used by the ancient Romans, only "modernized" to be more mobile! Historically speaking he fulfills the heavy artillery role played by the ballistae in the Byzantine Army. TLAC, TLAC
Total: 125

Thor, The Lone Berserker, Seeker of Doom - What is more viking than a viking Berserker! Need I say more? Plus the idea of using a character named Thor armed with a giant hammer was too much. Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, TH/SS, 1X Fenrisian Wolf (Jormagundr)
Total: 95

Baldr, The Lost Brother, He Who is Bound in Chains - Another Berseker. I like the story of Baldr in the Nordic sagas so felt he'd make a fine character in the army. Also in our game he only had 1 Fen Wolf. I ater updated this list to give him a second one. Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor,TH/SS, 2X Fenrisian Wolf
Total: 105

Troops:

Emir's Bane - Your run of the mill viking Varangian Guard.
10X GH
2X MG
PW
MotW
Wolf Standard
Rhino
Total: 230

Masters of Roos Tertius - Roos Tertius. I hate to hit people with the obvious sick, but Roos - Rus, th eonly viking name for Russia.
10X GH
2X MG
PW
MotW
Wolf Standard
Rhino
Total: 230

Protectors of Byznum
10X GH
2X MG
PW
MotW
Rhino
Total: 220

Fast:

2X Thunderwolf Cav (Lord goes here) - The viking take on Kataphractoi. In the game we played, there was 1 guy in here with MotW. I realized very quickly how useless an upgrade it is on TWC. I've since dropped it from this squad and the other TWC squad and used the spare points for a second Fen Wolf on Baldr. 1X Storm Shield, Meltabombs
Total: 140

3X Thunderwolf Cav, 1X SS, 1X TH, Meltabombs
Total: 225

Heavy:

Long Fangs - The "archers" of the army, there to provide long range fire support and suppressive fire. 5 LF, 1 Pack, 5X ML
Total: 140

Long Fangs, 4X LF, PL, 4X ML
Total: 115

Total: 2000


And now, I present you GW's list.

1 Space Marine Librarian @ 140 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; ...in
Terminator Armour; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Tactics;
Independent Character; Psyker; Null Zone; The Gate of Infinity)
1 ...in Terminator Armour (Psychic Hood; Force Weapon; Storm Shield)

9 Terminator Assault Squad @ 400 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Thunder
Hammer & Storm Shield x9; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads;
Combat Tactics)
1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1;
And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics)

1 Dreadnought @ 125 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Walker); Searchlight;
Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Autocannon; Twin Linked Autocannon)

1 Dreadnought @ 125 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Walker); Searchlight;
Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Autocannon; Twin Linked Autocannon)

9 Tactical Squad @ 205 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power
Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x7; Flamer; Multi-Melta; And They Shall
Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Rhino)
1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt
Pistol; Bolter; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat
Tactics)
1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models;
Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Storm
Bolter; Repair)

9 Tactical Squad @ 205 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power
Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x7; Flamer; Multi-Melta; And They Shall
Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Rhino)
1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt
Pistol; Bolter; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat
Tactics)
1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models;
Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Storm
Bolter; Repair)

1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 90 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast);
Heavy Bolter x1; Typhoon Missile Launcher x1; Deep Strike)

1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 90 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast);
Heavy Bolter x1; Typhoon Missile Launcher x1; Deep Strike)

1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 90 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast);
Heavy Bolter x1; Typhoon Missile Launcher x1; Deep Strike)

1 Land Raider Crusader @ 260 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport
Capacity: 16 models; Access Points: 3; Frag Assault Launchers;
Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Multi-Melta; 2x Hurricane Bolters; Twin
Linked Assault Cannon; Assault Vehicle; Power of the Machine Spirit)

1 Land Raider Redeemer @ 265 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport
Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Frag Assault Launchers;
Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Extra Armor; Multi-Melta; 2x Flamestorm
Cannons; Twin Linked Assault Cannon; Assault Vehicle; Power of the
Machine Spirit)


GW's Thoughts:
Space Wolves are my least favorite army to play against, insofar as I think the SW Codex is the strongest book out there.

Roland's army fits the bill. Wolf Lord and TWC are scary. Lots of missiles and tough melta. Some things I was "happy" to see were the TH on the LW instead of CF (which became important later), the PW over PF in the GH, and the somewhat random Rifleman.

My list is the newest iteration of my double Rock list. I've switched to Typhoons over MM/HF as the transport busting is key to give targets to my TH guys and I don't need the blocking ability of the short range speeders since I have the rocks :) Recent experience with my Thundergate list led to the SS on the Libby over EA on the Crusader (since the Redeemer always gets shot first) but that's a close call.

That's it for the lists! I will begin working on part 2, the actual battle, right now, so look for it shortly! Also the photo at top is the initial set up: Dawn of War, Seize Ground. More to come in part 2!

2 pinkments:

Dethtron said...

I <3 vikings and Amon Amarth

Anonymous said...

I can't edit Roland's posts, so I'll add my thoughts here.

Space Wolves are my least favorite army to play against, insofar as I think the SW Codex is the strongest book out there.

Roland's army fits the bill. Wolf Lord and TWC are scary. Lots of missiles and tough melta. Some things I was "happy" to see were the TH on the LW instead of CF (which became important later), the PW over PF in the GH, and the somewhat random Rifleman.

My list is the newest iteration of my double Rock list. I've switched to Typhoons over MM/HF as the transport busting is key to give targets to my TH guys and I don't need the blocking ability of the short range speeders since I have the rocks :) Recent experience with my Thundergate list led to the SS on the Libby over EA on the Crusader (since the Redeemer always gets shot first) but that's a close call.

Post a Comment

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...