Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Email in: 2000 points Dark eldar list


"Hi Kirby

I really enjoy your blog and it has really helped me go from a very casual 40k player to a more competitive player. However I suffer from the curse of wanting to play armies that are a bit different from the standard builds. I have had moderate success with a 1800 point dark eldar list at my local club and local tournaments (placing well and winning best army). There is a 2 day 2k tournament in early July that I would like to take my dark eldar to which means adding another 200 points.

The original 1800 point list was:

105 - Baron Sathonyx


185 - 10 Hellions, Helliarch, Agonizer
185 - 10 Hellions, Helliarch, Agonizer
234 - 14 Hellions, Helliarch, Venom Blade

304 - 9 Reaver Jet Bikes, Arena Champion, 3x Caltrops, 3x Heatlance
304 - 9 Reaver Jet Bikes, Arena Champion, 3x Caltrops, 3x Heatlance

155 - Void Raven, Flickerfield
155 - Void Raven, Flickerfield
165 - Razorwing, Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon (disintegrators instead of dark lances)

1792 - Total

I am aware that it is sub optimal but I have it all painted and really enjoy playing it, I have found that although it is fragile it can at least draw any match up. The biggest issue is anti tank, although the flyers survive far longer than most people would think they are fragile and the lack of any dark lances or blasters does mean I suffer with massed mech. The reavers have heat lances as a secondary utility, their primary aim is using the caltrops pick off infantry units that are isolated or unable to beat them in combat. Along with the razorwing they are the stars of the list. The razorwing is absolutely devastating for 1 shooting phase and easily pays for it self most of the time, it can then provide cover saves for the void ravens, and a cannon and 2 disintigrators can help with small meq units.


I'd really want the Razorwing to have Lances if you could make that happen otherwise considering you have these models painted I'd change the 2x9x Reavers to 3x6x. This gives you a lot more flexibility and less potential to lose firepower to overkill. The Hellions + Baron are fine but I'm really not sure how your vehicles survive for long at all. They are the only tanks out there and paper thin so your opponent should be focusing them early and easily at least shaking them.

Anyway let's see what changes you make for 2000.

This is the basis of the 2k list, I am light on scoring and very light on anti tank and would really like some advice on what would be best to spend the last 280 points on.

105 - Baron Sathonyx

154 - 9 Hellions, Helliarch, Venom Blade
154 - 9 Hellions, Helliarch, Venom Blade
224 - 14 Hellions

304 - 9 Reaver Jet Bikes, Arena Champion, 3x Caltrops, 3x Heatlance
304 - 9 Reaver Jet Bikes, Arena Champion, 3x Caltrops, 3x Heatlance

155 - Void Raven, Flickerfield
155 - Void Raven, Flickerfield
165 - Razorwing, Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon (disintegrators instead of dark lances)

1720 - Total

The list is pretty themed so far, I am willing to be pretty flexible but I really dont like the raider chassis. I like the idea of scourges as I have a good idea how I would model them to fit the theme, I could get a unit of 10 with 4 assault anti tank weapons blaster/heatlance/haywire blaster in the points. I could cut the arena champions from the reavers and have a 3rd 9 strong reaver unit with caltrops and heat lances. I also have 3 elite slots free so could potentially try and use true born I could just about get 2 units of 3 with blasters in venoms but with only 2 they will be very fragile and makes me much worse at kill points which is currently a very strong mission for me.

Are any of these ideas any good? Are there any better ones with the slots I have left available, I would be willing to tinker with the basis of the list but I cant really afford to change too much.

Thanks for your time

Dan"


The Trueborn idea IMO is your best bet or if not Trueborn, Warriors in Venoms to shore up your scoring though you gain less anti-tank. Once again though I'd look to split the Reavers into three squads and drop the Arena Champions. You could also grab a Haemonculus and Wracks in Raiders for extra ranged anti-tank, a FNP token for the large Hellion squad and durable scoring but since you don't like the Raider chassis this will be an issue.

If you're really set against this idea I'd go with the Warriors or Trueborn in Venoms with Blasters to up your anti-tank. You've got a ton of anti-infantry with the Razorwing and Hellions already and the Venoms will add to that but as you've said, you really need to increase your anti-tank to deal with a lot of mech and the Venom + Warrior/Trueborn combination also adds anti-infantry so the unit combo as a whole isn't useless against infantry lists.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...