Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Email in: 2k Imperial Guard - Exterminators



"Hey Kirby,

I've done a lot of thinking, finagling, and adjusting to my Steel Legion over the past year and I think I've finally settled on something I am quite happy with. That said, I wanted to send it to you to critique and evaluate, as I feel that there's a lot of valuable feedback that can be had from discussing it.

Without further ado, here's the list:


HQ
Company Command Squad w/ Colonel "Iron Hand" Straken, Medi-Pack, Regimental Standard, 2xMeltaguns, 2xBodyguards, Astropath - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (325)

Troops
Platoon Command Squad w/ 3xMeltaguns, Platoon Commander w/Meltabombs, Guardsman w/ Laspistol - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (120)
Infantry Squad w/ Meltagun - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (115)
Infantry Squad w/ Meltagun - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (115)
Veteran Squad w/ 3xMeltaguns, 6xShotguns, Demolitions - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (185)
Veteran Squad w/ 3xMeltaguns, 6xShotguns - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (155)
Veteran Squad w/ 3xMeltaguns, 6xShotguns - in Chimera w/ Hull Heavy Flamer (155)

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons (& Hull Heavy Bolter) (190)
Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons (& Hull Heavy Bolter) (190)
Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons (& Hull Heavy Bolter) (190)

Fast Attack
Vendetta Gunship (130)
Vendetta Gunship (130)

It's got almost all the tools I think I need to make a good showing against pretty much anything. Straken makes me competent in melee, I have outflank potential with the Vendettas, and I have plenty of troops to fall back on in case I need to suicide any.

I'd say the Heavy Support is probably where I'm most flexible, as there really isn't a "best" option. 3xLeman Russ is incredibly difficult to deal with and they usually fire all game long, but their firepower is only "adequate" against most targets. I was considering dropping an Exterminator for a Manticore Rocket Launcher, to give me some extra bite against AV14 at range, as well as at least 1 source of S10 and indirect fire. That saves 30 points I thought might be best spent adding Power Fists for the non-demolition Vets for some more "oomph" in assault, especially against small squads.

I'm interested to hear what you think of the list, the potential swap, and any and all suggestions or comments. Have at it, and thanks in advance for your help."


List overall looks quite solid though two main things.

Al'Rahem would be a decent inclusion in your infantry Platoon (though I'd probably bring along another squad or two). It helps advance the Chimeras up the field without clogging lanes and gives your opponent more to worry about. I know MVB uses this to great effect in his Straken list but you'll also want to get more Veterans so you don't have diddly squat on the board to begin with - something you may not want to do but the option is there.

Otherwise the Heavy Support is kinda meh I'm afraid. Whilst Russes are very hard to deal with at range, most armies have some sort of fast/outflank/deepstrike melta or even S10/lances at range which they can hit AV14 with. It's something they have to work around certainly but 12 S7 heavy shots? Not super scary even when you factor in the Plasma Cannons (and you have an aggressive list so bad scatters can spell death to your infantry). I'd much rather see these Russes compressed. I like your idea of taking a Manticore in place of one of them but even replacing the other two with 2x normal Russes with Heavy Bolters would be a great benefit. You can use them to either screen your advance or sit in corners and blast the opponent (though again beware of bad scatters). I just feel if you're really pining for some S7 ranged firepower go Hydras. For 150 points you're getting 8 S7 twin-linked shots and whilst on less durable platforms, that's double the shots for quite a few less points.

Heavy Support can always be a bit of a pain for IG and there really are a lot of options but I think Exterminators are the wrong Russ choice. If you want Plasma go with the Executioner. If you want lots of AV14 tanks go with the standard LRBT, etc. Combine this with Hydras and Manticores as you see fit to cover up army weaknesses.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...