Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Saturday, September 3, 2011

Meister_Kai Starts Warmachine



I haven't written a post here in about a year, I bet most of the authors will be surprised to see someone they didn't even necessarily know was on the writing team write something, but I felt compelled to post this here so here it is:

So, I started playing Warmachine/Hordes a few weeks ago with Retribution and I have to say, I am having more fun than I ever had with 40K. I think the rules are extremely well written without room for much lawyering (this could of course change the longer I play) and I think that while list building is important, it doesn't mean as much as in 40K. My group played Warmachine/Hordes for a bit before I came around to 40K, so many of them are picking their models back up while others still are starting from scratch like I am.

We are only playing 15 point games at the moment (well, I am mostly playing 15 point games because that's all I have lol) and as soon as a few others get their stuff together we will start an escalation league.

All that said, lets look where I am:

The list I am playing (and liking a lot) is thus:

Garryth, Blade of Retribution (+5)
Chimera Light Myrmidon (6-5): 1
Dawnguard Sentinals (6)+UA(2): 8
House Shyeel Magister 2
Mage Hunter Assassin 2
Mage Hunter Assassin 2

Total: 15

I like the way this list works. Some movement shenanigans for Garryth who likewise supports the Sentinals, the Mage Hunters threaten flanks and solos while Garryth and the Magister (with help from channeling Gallows through the Chimera) allow me to pick off some models at range (all Magical).

How is my w/l ratio? Pretty bad. I mainly play against two people, who play Legion of Everblight and Cryx respectively. Their lists vary, but the Legion player loves Vayl + Typhon and the Cryx player plays pSkarre with Bile Thralls/Scrap Thralls/Satyxsis Blood Witches.

A good many of my losses come from me attempting to assassinate casters using Garryth's pistols, which has never worked once for me (I then get charged by my opponents caster next turn, who usually rolls awesome and whoops my ass lol). I am incapable of rolling average when it counts while my opponents roll boxcars on me lol.

I have learned that as far as assassination casters go, Garryth sort of blows. However, I think he is a lot of fun to play, so I will continue on with him, because when he actually does get the charge off on an opposing Warcaster it feels awesome lol.

Other things I have learned:

Read page 5 then forget it. The person that charges straight ahead is usually the guy who gets trampled in return.
Keep your infantry spread out. Sprays, AOE's, etc usually murder single wound infantry, I have found defensive line to rarely be worth it.
Be able to measure 12", 10", and 4" mentally. Forget the LOL range of 48" missile launchers.
I think Spacing is incredibly important in this game, I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
DO NOT TRY TO ASSASSINATE WARCASTERS WITH RAT6 GUNS. Even with the boost to hit, I miss every time vs DEF16.

I am having a lot of fun, that is the most important thing of all.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...