Kirb your enthusiasm!


"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him

Friday, March 30, 2012

Dark Millennium 40k MMO & US Throne of Skulls canned

Further cancellations of Games Workshop products/sponsored events have been announced though at least with Dark Millennium the game is still going to be released - just not as a MMORPG. More below.

Games Workshop has also announced after Throne of Skulls finishes in October in North America, that's going out the window same as 'Ard Boyz.

Now whilst 'Ard Boyz and Throne of Skulls were generally crap systems and complete failures as tournaments (less so in terms of gathering players together), pulling what little community support Games Workshop does provide is not a great idea. Hopefully they will continue to sponsor events as much as possible (not sure what percentage of prize support is generated by Games Workshop sponsorship overseas but as far as I know, it's not that much here in Australia with local stores picking up the slack) and maybe the canning of these events is to clear the slate for something better (unlikely) but it again goes to show how out of touch Games Workshop is with their customer base.

Now back to Dark Millennium with some informtion directly from THQ:
AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Mar 29, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- THQ Inc. today announced that it has refocused Warhammer® 40,000®: Dark Millennium™ from a Massively Multiplayer Online game to an immersive single player and online multiplayer experience with robust digital content, and engaging community features. Further product details, platforms and release timing will be announced at a later date.

 “As previously announced, we have been actively looking for a business partner for the game as an MMO. However, based on changing market dynamics and the additional investment required to complete the game as an MMO, we believe the right direction for us is to shift the title from an MMO to a premium experience with single and multiplayer gameplay, robust digital content and community features,” said Brian Farrell, President and CEO of THQ Inc. 

“Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property.”

“We are genuinely excited about the new direction that THQ is taking with Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium, and we are sure that this will be a great addition to the ever growing stable of authentic and engaging Warhammer 40,000 video games,” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing for Games Workshop.

As a result of this change, team sizes at two THQ internal studios will be reduced by 79 full-time employees at Vigil Games in Austin, Texas, and 39 employees at Relic Entertainment in Vancouver, B.C.

Vigil Games will continue to focus on both this game and the critically-acclaimed new title, Darksiders® II, scheduled for release this summer. Relic Entertainment continues to focus its development expertise on THQ’s franchises including Company of Heroes® and Warhammer® 40,000®: Dawn of War®. 
At least the game is still going ahead but...well a completely novel 40k MMO would have done a world of good for Games Workshop sales. Depending upon what Dark Millennium now becomes... well we shall see!

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...