Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Friday, December 31, 2010

Email in: Tau Help



"What's up Kirby?

I'm currently pondering doing a Tau army and I would like your help with my list. A couple of things. My thoughts behind the units I took. The Shas'els I took cause they're cheap and shoot like basic marines. Battle suits cause I think stealth suits, the alternative, could use some work and I think Crisis are better for dealing with light armour and MEQ, which I will see in my neck of the woods. kroot are decent chump blockers and cover save granters perhaps. They aren't beating up Khorne Berserkers but they can hold them back some.

Fire warriors for grabbing an objective later in the game or on my half of the table. Pathfinders to markerlight stuff and cause vespids stink. I like the pirhana models and they can be used to disrupt movement of the enemy. i know if the enemy troops have unrestricted path to my guys, then my game is over. I know Tau can't fight lol. Broadsides for the vehicle smack down. I am not sure about the configuration though. That is actually what prompted me to email you. Not sure about that. The hammer head is good for mobile smack down or template dropping.

I put gun drones on the DF and HH because I would dismount those guys early for more chump blocking goodness. Except KP of course. Anyway take a look and tell me how I can improve this. I haven't using played Tau since 3rd Edition when 9 broadsides and 72 fire warriors was a "fun" army. Lol!



2000 Pts - Tau Empire Roster

1 Commander Shas'el @ 92 pts (Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Target Lock)

1 Commander Shas'el @ 92 pts (Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Target Lock)

2 Crisis Battlesuit @ 124 pts (Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

2 Crisis Battlesuit @ 124 pts (Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

2 Crisis Battlesuit @ 124 pts (Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 130 pts (Add Kroot Hounds)
10 Kroot Hounds

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 130 pts (Add Kroot Hounds)
10 Kroot Hounds

10 Fire Warrior @ 185 pts
1 Devilfish (Disruption Pod)

2 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 150 pts (Disruption Pod x2; Targeting Array x2; Fusion Blaster x2)
4 Gun Drones

2 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 150 pts (Disruption Pod x2; Targeting Array x2; Fusion Blaster x2)
4 Gun Drones

6 Pathfinder @ 157 pts
1 Devilfish (Disruption Pod)

1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 175 pts (Railgun; Gun Drones; Disruption Pod; Multi-Tracker)
2 Gun Drones

1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 175 pts (Broadside Battlesuit; Shield Drone; Shield Drone; Drone Controller)
1 Broadside Battlesuit (Target Lock)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 175 pts (Broadside Battlesuit; Shield Drone; Shield Drone; Drone Controller)
1 Broadside Battlesuit (Target Lock)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

Total Roster Cost: 1983

Marc Smith"


Hey Marc. Solid Tau list and excellent reasoning on why bad units suck :P. Biggest issue with your list is 8 crisis suits. When 1750 lists are generally packing in 10, you need to make sure your 2000 lists are doing the same. That being said one of the Shas'Els and the extra points you have spare can easily net you two extra suits (taking you to 9 total). Dropping the Kroot squads to 17 (10+7 hounds; 17 is the magic number at that range for Ld checks) and the Fire Warriors to 6 (they are hiding in the Devilfish so you don't really need more than the min-sized squad) and you've got your 10th Crisis at 1995 points. I'm not a huge fan of the gun drones on the Hammerhead but you don't really have the points which is fair enough. I would however exchange one of the disruption pods on the Piranhas for a target lock so the squad has one TL and one DP (50% of squad = cover) which keeps cover and allows you to split fire if they survive. Great for 5pts.

In regards with the Broadside setup, they are going to be very static without ASS but being able to split fire is important so I'd leave them they way they are currently unless you can find 25 points to upgrade each squad (2x ASS upgrade and team-leader so you can still get Drone Controller and Target Lock). Problem is finding those points after we just shaved most of your extraneous items.

So these changes essentially streamline your list and importantly improve the firepower of the list to the level it should be at with the 10 crisis. I also used a picture from your blog :P; those Thunderwolves look amazing BTW.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...