Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Thursday, January 6, 2011

Email in: Dark Eldar Royalty list (2000 points)



"Hello again Kirby!

I recently sent you a list (2500 point Thematic Coven list w/ Urien - Thank you!) that you were gracious enough to comment on, and I mentioned that my "competitive" list was going to be different. Well, here's my best shot! I've set it to 2000 points because that seems to be the preferred list size, although I don't have a lot of experience at that total, so I'd be looking for advice on what to add to bring it to 2500 as well as a normal review (because this may be the base for my Ard Boyz list).

Duke Sliscus 150
Baron Sathonyx 105

Hellions x12 192 (Baron goes here)
Hellions x9 144
Hellions x9 144
Hellions x9 144

Kabalite Trueborn x3 w/ Blaster x3, Venom w/ additional Splinter Cannon 146
Kabalite Trueborn x3 w/ Blaster x3, Venom w/ additional Splinter Cannon 146
Kabalite Trueborn x3 w/ Blaster x3, Venom w/ additional Splinter Cannon 146

Reavers x6 w/ Heat Lance x2 156
Reavers x6 w/ Heat Lance x2 156

Ravager w/ Flickerfield 115
Ravager w/ Flickerfield 115
Ravager w/ Flickerfield 115

Total points: 1974

I'm playtested a few games with Baron + a single Hellion squad and I've been pleasantly surprised. I've been really aggressive with it and they've wiped squads well, dropping in area terrain for saves and unleshing splinter hell. I thought I would try my hand at a Hellion-centric list, and realized that the Duke would be a nice fit as well. I've tried making a list for the Duke before, but in my experience you can only take advantage of two of his three special abilities in any one list (not enough points for lots of drugs + lots of vehicles + a SplinterBorn squad). This list has 52 bodies to take advantage of drugs, and thanks to the Duke every unit (sans Reavers) can deep strike if wanted, giving me a lot of flexibility. Considering how much it takes advantage of those rules I'm okay with losing a handful of 3+ poison shots, because the anti-infantry (116 poison shots + Reavers) is pretty good as well. I have eight anti-tank platforms, and depending on the drug roll/pain tokens available the hellions can assault a few vehicles as well.

My biggest problem with this list? I ran out of points. Like I said, I don't play 2000 points a lot. The list above is 1974. I want Helliarchs for my 9 man sqauds (30 points) to help with morale, I want another Reaver sqaud, and I want Nightshields. At 2500 points, this would be no problem, but at 2000? I think the Nightshields I should forget about, but the only way to do the other stuff would be to drop a Hellion sqaud for two Helliarch upgrades + another 6 man Reaver squad, but that would drop me to 3 troops (only one of which would really be survivable) AND put me 6 points over. I realize that switching to Scourges would save me some points, but all of my Scourges are being built with Haywire Blasters at the moment, and the mobility of the Reavers (assault move in particular) make them a much better melta platform IMO.

Also, I do a great job of second-guessing myself when it matters, so I'd rather get a second opinion before small changes become large rewrites.

Thanks again!"


That's a really good Duke analysis in what he brings to the table and at first glance with the list, I was going to suggest dropping a Hellion squad for a Warrior squad on Foot w/DL for the Duke to hang out with...but then you can't really run reserves as effectively (those Reavers can move 36" on so aren't really troubled). This is still an option of course and one has spare points from doing this move so could buy them a Raider but those points are better spent in Helliarchs IMO.

The other options is basically what you suggested but don't drop a Hellion squad for a Reaver squad. Rather keep the 4 squads and upgrade each of the non-Baron Hellions to have a Helliarch. This takes you 4 points over so we drop a blaster from a Trueborn squad (Duke goes here) and you've got 11 points to play with. Two stunclaws on two of the Hellion squads and you're set!

Both options are pretty good IMO and I'd probably go with the 2nd option and keeping the 4 Hellion squads. Hellions really need cover (i.e. the Baron's squad) or FNP to survive shooting and without any Haemons (if you don't run Duke you run Haemons with Liqs, hand over FNP and then jump into Trueborn rides for duality) they need to get into combat ASAP and this is helped by having more squads. Your anti-tank and anti-infantry are very solid elsewhere and the Hellions bring that punch in combat.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...