Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Sunday, February 20, 2011

E-mail: Imperial Fist Army Troop Selection

Taken straight from The Nerd Store
Hi diddly ho, pinkerinos, Chumby here.  The man in pink has a massive backlog of e-mails, so I'm here to help.  Some call me amazing, most call me fantastic, but you can call me friend.  So begins my saga of e-mail pwnage.



Kirby,

Love the blog (B&H is better!), just started reading it recently but I like what I'm seeing.  I'm hoping you can help me tweak my army list to find the right troop selections.  I've been working on my Imperial Fists for about a year and a half.  You can see the pics of my units on my blog http://thenerdstore.blogspot.com if you want.  The 1850 list I have been running is:

Lysander
Command squad w/ 4xplasma guns
     in a drop pod
Ironclad w/ DCCW and Seismic Hammer
     in a drop pod w/ locator
Dread w/ Multi-melta and DCCW
    in a drop pod w/ locator
5x Terminator w/ TH/SS
10x Tac w/ melta, ML, PF
    in a rhino
10x Tac w/ plasma, Lascannon, PW
    in a razorback w/ TL las
5x Scout w/ combi-melta, meltabomb, ML, Camo Cloaks
Land Speeder Typhoon
Land Speeder Typhoon
Land Speeder Storm w/ multi-melta

Its meant to be a balanced list, if not slightly aggressive.  The dreadnoughts come in first turn and are meant to tie up/melt vehicles.  The land speeders and Tac squads lay down the fire, and the Terminators and Command Squad come in to mop up or stop threats.  The scouts with the LS storm are a nice utility unit: alpha strike a scary vehicle, sit on a backfield objective, or make a nuisance of itself as an infiltrator with melta threat.  I always feel like my Tacs are under performing, they don't have to much heavy fire and in the mid field they are to vulnerable to being assaulted.  One caveat is that I am not shy about saying that I play HEAVILY against other marines, so I am not embarrassed by my lack of flamers.  It might be another reason that the Tac squads seem to under perform because they are not spending their days chewing up IG or gaunts with rapid fire.

I have also been considering modding my list down to one drop pod.  I felt I was missing some scary punch in my shooting:

Pedro Kantor
Librarian in Power Armor w/ Gate and Null Zone
Ironclad w/ DCCW and Seismic Hammer
     in a drop pod w/ locator
5x Terminator w/ TH/SS
5x Sternguard w/ 4x Combi-plasma, Lightning Claw
10x Tac w/ melta, ML, PF
    in a rhino
10x Tac w/ plasma, Lascannon, PW
5x Scout w/ combi-melta, meltabomb, ML, Camo Cloaks
Land Speeder Typhoon
Land Speeder Typhoon
Land Speeder Storm w/ multi-melta
Vindicator w/ Siege Shield
Vindicator w/ Siege Shield

I haven't played it yet but I would run it similar to the first list.  Use the Ironclad and a "Gate"d unit to hold them midfield and let my shooting go to work.  Yes I know that the Vindicators could hit my own units, but hey go big or go home right?  Again though, the Tac squads seem weak in this list.

Any help you can give me would be great,

Ben (Rixnor)
Hey-o, thanks for e-mailing.  I'm not Kirby, I'm better, but I'll do my best.  First off, awesome models you got there, I like the blog lots.  Followed and everything.

Ok, now that we've built up a rapport (or at least, that's what my marketing professor called it), we can get to the meat of this.

Tacticals are poopy.  Poopy, poop, poop. They are juggling too many things at once and end up being mediocre at everything.  So why use them?  Well, they're cheap, durable, and make some vehicles scoring. It looks like you've found this out yourself.  

Scouts are rather underwhelming too.  Stealthed snipers are about the only way I'd consider running them, an objective humping unit with mild ranged harassment (sniper = bad touch).  Land Speeder Storms are pretty bad too.  Only 5 scouts doesn't scare many units and an open-topped AV10 transport is not at all durable, just ask DE.  And, of course, a BS3 Multi-Melta is just asking to miss on that crucial first (and likely only) shot.
With your first list, you have your Drop Pods and Termies delivering smashy units right into your opponent's face as quickly as possible.  That's great, but what you really need is the means to suppress/crack open enemy armor so your aggressive units don't waste their time chasing transports.  2-3 5-man squads mounted in las/plas Razorbacks (with optional HK missile and power windows) give you enough scoring bodies in addition to 3 high S shots coming down field to support your forward elements.  525-555 is pretty cheap, plenty to fit in more support in the form of Typhoons, dakka Preds and the like.  Going a step further, I would highly recommend finding points for more ranged suppression.  Also, Lysander is awesome but an incredible points sink.  He works bets in a big unit of Tactical Terminators or Sternguard, I'd drop him for a humble Librarian sporting Null Zone.  More support that way.  Dropping 2 Dreads in turn 1 is a tad suicidal, but isn't nearly as scary if a good chunk of enemy vehicles are stunlocked.

The 2nd list ends up being an entirely different concept, focusing more on mech than Pods, or at least it tries to.  The suicide Dread is just that, a suicide unit, so I'd just go for a normal Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer.  Stick with the same Tactical suppression units, ditch the Fail Speeder, and pick up more support units to protect and support those Vindicators.  Kantor doesn't fit here at all, he's a combat support dude with very few combat units to support.  Typically, you'll find the basic Librarian really covers all your bases for an HQ in the vast majority of Marine armies.  He's cheap, versatile and offers great support in the form of Null Zone and psychic defense. As is, it's trying to juggle too many things at once, like Tactical Marines. 
Pick a focus, Pods, aggressive mech, defensive mech, Kantor, Lysander, and run with it.  Build it to be balanced, capable of handling anything that can be thrown at you, and having a cohesive theme not only looks good, but plays well together and lends itself to a particular style of play. 

Hope that helps.

Stay classy, internet.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...