Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Monday, February 28, 2011

Email in: Robots with Wheels (and Hover Crafts)


"Now that my somewhat odd title hopefully has your attention I pray I get a good feedback or very good "Stop being so noobish damm it!"

I have been enjoying the fun that is my Blood Rodeo list, thank you 3++ for such an intresting concept, and I wished to branch out in my own direction and by god if this list has been done I shall murder the whole 3++ site and everyone associated with it including myself...wait never mind that last part. Anywho onto my list idea. It is using standard Nilla Marine dex and combining 2 of my fav type of units, Bikes and Walkers, so its a Dreadnought and Biker list hence the Robot with Wheels email title. Anywho here is my list and some of my thoughts.


Glad you're liking Blood Rodeo. I've actually done a Biker + Dread post before seen here. Let's see what your army is like.

Space Marines 1750 points

HQ

Space Marine Captain w/ Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Bike 180pts
Master of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamer, Bike 155 pts

Elite

Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta, Drop Pod 140 pts
Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta, Drop Pod 140 pts
Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta, Drop Pod 140 pts

Troops

5 Space Marine Bikes w/2 Meltaguns 160 pts
5 Space Marine Bikes w/2 Meltaguns 160 pts
5 Space Marine Bikes w/2 Meltaguns 160 pts

Fast Attack

Land Speeder w/ Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer 70 pts
Land Speeder w/ Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer 70 pts

Heavy Support

Dreadnought w/ 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons 125 pts
Dreadnought w/ 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons 125 pts
Dreadnought w/ 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons 125 pts

Total: 1750
Models: 28 (17 Bodies, 11 Vehicles)


Looks good but bit light on scoring. I'd rather also see AB MMs in the Bike squads than the Speeders. Whilst speeders certainly give you a certain mobility with their skimmer status, being able to make the Bike squads hit out at 24" is also quite important and makes those mobile MMs a bit harder to access for your opponent. I'm also not sure about the Drop Pods. Podding can certainly combine well with the Bikes in terms of putting a lot of pressure on your opponent early but it does chew into your points and at 1750, those are at a premium when you're buying two characters for unlocks. I might consider dropping the Pods as well then to get more bikes and run the Dreads as combat assault behind them.

Now here is what I see as good and bad.
-Flexibility. I have 5 units that can move 12" a turn and 3 units that can be placed where I need them to be in order to maximise their fire power. With a 3 man Rifleman Dread team in support I feel I have enough fire power to happily move up.
-Fire Base. I have 3 distinct fire bases per say. Long, Mid and Short. My Long range is the Rifleman and the MotF with his awesome Death Star gun. My Mid is my Drop Pod Dreads and Land Speeders and finally the short is the Bikes. I believe the fire power is enough to de-mech effectively and then pick off what I need to.
-Frail Troops. Now I know T5 3+ and a 3++ Turbo Boost is nothing to laugh at but a 5 man squad could easily be taken out of the game. I fear that my scoring element is weak and as such may be my downfall.
-Kill Points. I am no genius at Kill Points on what is good or bad but I offer up 16 Kill Points. Being in Scotland I have one source of what is comp, Archnomad and trust him to be in Aus. So yeah I think this could be bad.
-Hide or Die. My army would look at Loganwing or any army with sufficient Anti-Tank and squirm. I am down 3 Dreads generally off the bat given how I wanna run this list and I fear if I dont keep my guys hidden to some degree I would lose a good chunk turn one and then combined with my frail troop point earlier could spell an early game over for me.


1) Bike and Mech armies are always pretty flexible.
2) Tick on firepower.
3) I wouldn't say frail but I would say not enough.
4) Kill Points aren't an issue.
5) This is where I think more Bikes helps. Shoving 20+ bikes into your opponent's face makes them deal with them and if they don't they get to operate as they wish. Even then asking an opponent to stop 6 Dreads in a couple of turns is a tall ask.

So yeah thats what I am thinking with this list. I am considering making one of my 5 man squads a 3 man, transfer the other bikes to each of the other squads and keep them in reserve so they are called in last turn to rush objectives. Should I lose the Drop Pods and have my entire army on the table turn 1? Should the Speeders be removed and their points placed elsewhere? I have asked for opinions and so far seems people like. So yeah if I could get the feedback on my Robots with Wheels (and Hovercrafts) then it be awesome.

Thanks,
Meph"


I think losing the Pods is a good idea as well as dropping the Speeders (as explained above). If you upped the points level I think the Speeders are more viable as you'll have the points you need in your Troops but hidden Attack Bikes w/MM are very nice and should always be taken on Bike squads.

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...