Kirb your enthusiasm!

WEBSITE HOSTED AT: www.3plusplus.net

"Pink isn't a color. It's a lifestyle." - Chumbalaya
"...generalship should be informing list building." - Sir Biscuit
"I buy models with my excess money" - Valkyrie whilst a waitress leans over him


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Space Wolves Herohammer, 1850pts, Re-tooled; Event Horizon List


Space Wolves Herohammer, 1850pts, Re-tooled.

So, Kirby in his arrogance is refusing to have a game against my Herohammer Space Wolves with his Tyranids. He claims that he will win and it is inconcievable that I stand even the slightest chance against him. In Kirby's own words "it would be a pointless exercise in futility." Those are my own words. It does not mean I will win. Remember I'm not the one to have claimed I win all tourney setting games. In fact, I've never made any claims about my playing ability. What the quote means is it won't prove anything. You either have to really outplay me (or anyone as you don't have any ranged firepower; remember you beat Dennis because  he multi-assaulted not knowing you were S10), or have insane dice/my dice are terribad. It's not just me who's saying this. If you win you prance around going look it works lalalala and continue ignoring all criticisms to list (which is the main issue here). If I win...yay I spent a couple hours of my life doing what exactly? I cannot foresee myself having fun because of these outcomes so why would I submit myself to it? Ergo, exercise in futility; not I'm gonna win so what's the point.

So I figure the only way i am going to get a game against him is if I am lucky enough to get a draw against him in a tournament which we both attend because he won't grudge me if I'm packing Herohammer, or any army for that matter - I figure it's because if I do beat him with such an army, he'll never live it down, which, in all honesty, especially where he stands on the matter of the army and how crap it is on a competitively balanced level and how much scorn he's heaped on me for it, would be rather funny, and no, he'd never live it down. *ponders* I haven't actually heaped crap on it. I've said it's a one-dimensional army and unless you badger me about it, I don't talk about it. And grudging at tournaments is silly *finds worst player with worst list* I'll grudge you for an easy seal club! Now I'm in the top bracket yesssss. So I'd never grudge anyone. Ever. Now that we have our Kirby facts straight let's listen to taak. 

 That all said, I was originally going to run Herohammer at every tournament I could get to this year, so yeah...Event Horizon here I come. Event Horizon, for those not aware is a new Non-Comp based tournament being held here in Sydney for the first time this year, run by the current High Lord of Terra (Australia's current equivalent of a Nationals Tournament collecting the top ranking players from the larger tournaments each year at an invite only event, whilst the rest of the players get to play in the open, but the High lords is where it's at in terms of prestige and whilst comped, it is incredibly competitive so don't go dissing it all you comp haters as it also includes winners of non-comp events too) Dennis Fung whom I beat with Herohammer at Cryx Cup in the last round there. So it seems kind of poetic and fitting. The aim for me at the tournament, as with any tournament, is to win a single game. But there's a problem. We're at 1,850pts and the Herohammer is 1,750pts...and we need to try and up the survivability/strengths further if possible, so that means some modifying of the army.

First up, Warrior Born lord - Twin Frost Weapons is cool...2 options, i) increase resilience with a Stormshield, thus losing 1 attack but staying alive longer, or, ii) lose an attack but gain flexibility in attacks by running a frost weapon and a thunder hammer thereby being able to tailor my weapon of choice against whatever I am facing.

Second of all, to make it more survivable and do more damage from the get go, a drop pod for the terminators. The Drop Pod will die, but getting first turn Foehammer/Jaws of the Wolf funsies on say, a Trygon, could be high-larious, but really to just get in point blank with the slow ass terminator half of the army from the first turn onwards. The Bikers and Thunderwolves are fast enough to catch up.
1850pts is 100pts more then the standard 1750pts I've run it at, and I had previously decided to run Lone Wolves up to 2,000pts, but thanks to a chap by the name of Mark over in New Zealand who sent me an email recently asking for some advice on an 1850pt version of the list he was going to run for a comp tourney, I'm going to pinch his expansion and add in a single Thunderwolf Cavalry model with a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, which means cutting points here and there. But that's okay as both Thunderwolf Lords suddenly have another ablative paired wounds not to mention even more strength 10 smack down and if the Thunderwolf Lord with the Warrior Born Saga has a Frost Blade and a Thunder Hammer, then that is one huge ass amount of strength 10 smack down (14-17 attacks base depending on a charge/successful counter-attacking) and I have the ability to split off and hit 3 separate heavily armoured targets with that sort of smackdown which, lets be honest, is bloody epic.

Where does this put me?

HQ 1a) Logan Grimnar - 275pts
HQ 1b) Njal Storm Caller in Runic Terminator Armour - 270pts
HQ 2a) Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf Mount, Wolf Tail Talisman, Wooftooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer, Saga of the Bear - 275pts

HQ 2b) Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf Mount, Wolf Tail Talisman, Wooftooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Belt of Russ, Frost Weapon, Thunder Hammer, Saga of the Warrior Born - 295pts

Troops 1) 3 Wolf Guard
Space Marine Bike, Power Armour, Storm Shield
1xThunder Hammer; 1xFrost Weapon & Melta-Bombs; 1xMark of the Wulfen & Bolt Pistol - 299pts

Troops 2) 3 Wolf Guard
1xArjac Rockfist
2xTerminator Armour (1x2xChainfists; 1xStormshield, Storm Bolter & Mark of the Wulfen)
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod w/Storm Bolter - 349pts

Fast Attack 1) Thunderwolf Cavalry
Power Armour, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer - 110pts
1873pts - 23pts over-points.

First up we can salvage points on the Warrior Born Lord, downgrading the Thunderhammer to a Powerfist and the Frost Weapon to a Wolf Claw. Wolf Claw at str 5 is still decent especially when you are hitting on a 3+ all the time so that's 10pts saved down to 13pts left, Same deal with the Thunderwolf Cavalry chap, downgrade the Thunderhammer to a Powerfist which saves another 5pts dropping us to 8pts left to salvage. Downgrading the Frost Weapon on the Biker Wolf Guard to a Wolf Claw loses a bit of punch but keeps flexibility and hitting power in terms of by-passing armour saves and as much as i don't want to lose the protection in terms of a split/killed Lords, ditching a Wolf Tail Talisman on one of the Thunderwolf Lords gets us the last points to make it legal, so ditching the one on the Warrior Born Lord as he dies faster, so all on longterm preservation.

The list then looks like this:

1,850pts Herohammer Space Wolves

HQ 1a) Logan grimnar - 275pts

HQ 1b) Njal Storm Caller in Runic Terminator Armour - 270pts

HQ 2a) Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf Mount, Wolf Tail Talisman, Wooftooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer, Saga of the Bear - 275pts

HQ 2a) Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf Mount, Wooftooth Necklace, Runic Armour, Belt of Russ, Wolf Claw, Powerfist, Saga of the Warrior Born - 280pts

Troops 1) 3 Wolf Guard
Space Marine Bike, Power Armour, Storm Shield
1xThunder Hammer; 1xWolf Claw & Melta-Bombs; 1xMark of the Wulfen & Bolt Pistol - 294pts

Troops 2) 3 Wolf Guard
1xArjac Rockfist
2xTerminator Armour (1x2xChainfists; 1xStormshield, Storm Bolter & Mark of the Wulfen)
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod w/Storm Bolter - 349pts

Fast Attack 1) Thunderwolf Cavalry
Power Armour, Storm Shield, Powerfist - 105pts

Total = 1,848 points
Models = 12
Kill Points = 8

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...